trading stationery

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Zucker Seeded Second

Tennis was the only sport I played, and I played with my whole heart.

I got lessons three times a week from Susie Ng, whose son (unfortunately named Bland), was in my freshman high school class. We weren't friends, but it was pleasant enough. Susie doted on Bland and also pushed him hard to perform on the court. She had us drink tea before and after practice, though it would take me thirty years and a trip to China to understand the power and role of hot tea in one's body.

I trained hard to get my USTA certification, bouncing balls on my racket hundred of times. Susie also organized the first Springfield Junior Tennis Tournament, and my status as her student got me strong billing.

The news headline on the front page of the local paper was "Ng seeded First; Zucker Second." I was so excited. There was no mention the next week, thankfully of Zucker being defeated 6-0, 6-1 by a pastor's tall son, another Susie Ng student.

Bland and I also played on the high school varsity team, but I rarely got to compete, especially against bigger Jewish towns like Livingston and Millburn where the teams were unbelievable -- all that toughness from kids not allowed to play football in the Fall. My girl friends would come to watch practice, but it was mostly to flirt with their junior and senior crushes -- a ploy to get asked to prom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I joined the track team to get prom dates! ;) - BCM

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home